Comment on page
How to manage samples and vials
Vials are small containers used to store samples, aliquots of drugs, and other reagents. They are crucial for medical and scientific laboratories, but keeping a full inventory of all the vials in each lab can be difficult. For example, in a lab with seven members, the PI, 3 post-docs, a lab manager, and 2 research technicians, there are likely six people generating samples, aliquots of drug treatments, and other reagents. Keeping track of stock reagents, aliquots, and sample vials for six members, some of whom may have multiple projects, can quickly become overwhelming. This can be further complicated when attempting to track the amount of inventory left in the lab, making it difficult to ensure the lab is always fully stocked. With Labii, you can easily track all information for every type of vial stored in your lab. Additionally, with all vial information stored in one place, Labii ELN & LIMS (https://www.labii.com) makes keeping up with inventory much simpler.
To import multiple vials into Labii at once, make sure the information for each vial is properly formatted (find out how to properly format your workbooks below). Make sure you have created tales like samples, vials, and storage. Tables can also be added under Settings, go to Applications, then select install the “Inventory Manager”. This will install all the necessary tables for you. Please note, administrator permissions are required.
Samples need to be created first so that vials can be associated with the appropriate sample in Labii. A sample can be added under Add by selecting the Samples table, then filling out the form you’re directed to.
There are many ways to create vials in Labii:
If you only need to create a few vials, you can use the form:
- 1.Go to the side menu, select Add, select Vials table, then fill out the form
- 2.You can also add vials on the sample detail page. Navigate to the Vials section, click the + Vial button, then fill out the form.
If you need to create a lot of vials, use Labii’s import function to create in batch:
- 1.Prepare a table as shown below, download the file as .tsv or Excel
- 2.Go to Tables, then Vials, select Actions, then click Import,
- 1.Or go to the sample details page, navigate to the Vials section, click import vials
- 3.Select a project, then select the downloaded file
- 4.Make sure the fields are matched correctly
- 5.Click submit to import and wait until the import has been completed.
To check out vials:
- 1.Go to the sample details page,
- 2.Go to the Vials under the Sections view
- 3.Change “is_consumed” to “true”,
- 4.Update the “checkout_by” and “checkout_at” for the vial you want to check out.
You can also use the batch operation or import function to checkout in batch.
You can check the status of all vials, how many are created, where they are located, and how many are available by going to Samples, selecting Column view, then checking Vial total and Vial available.
By managing your vial inventory with Labii (https://www.labii.com), you can rest assured knowing all of your samples, drug treatments, and reagents are properly organized in a searchable database. Labii also provides the flexibility to create/update in form or in batch allowing you to quickly update records.